I was at a client's office, and the owner is just about the nicest business owner I've ever met. He led the interviewee past, wearing combat boots, baggy black pants, baggy black long-sleeve button down, and a died black short little mohawk. My first thought was "He should've cut his hair before the interview." Bizowner sat the guy down, and the first words out of his mouth: "Would you be willing to cut your hair? It needs to be a more uniform length."
He then went into a big long spiel about working in customer's houses, and how great it is that in this day & age, the way he looks is perfectly acceptable and no one cares... unless he's in their house. After a couple of minutes in this vein, bizowner must have noticed me & got up and shut the door.
Really, everything he said is the same type of things I would have said to interviewee if he were my friend. He was nice and accepting about it, on a personal level. In as friendly a manner as possible, he just laid out the truth about working in the real world.
He later took the guy back to meet the supervisor, so I'm assuming everything worked out OK.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment