Saturday, May 29, 2010

Fun day

I spent most of today working on putting a roof on the patio. It's going slower than I'd imagined. Mostly because it's so freaking hot, I take a lot of breaks. I'm probably not doing it the "right" way, but I'm pretty sure it will work. I've got the holes dug for the two posts, and after today have that wall square & together, almost ready to put in the holes & pour sack-crete. I still need to put the 2nd corner brace on each side, drop the wall into the holes, make sure it's level, prop it up, pour the concrete. I had intended to do all that today, but it started raining before I finished. Story of my life. Now, instead of being able to put up the other two corners tomorrow & tie it all together, I have to finish this wall, and hopefully do the other two corners Monday. Yay for holidays :)

Then it'll just be a matter of waiting for the next payday to buy the rafters & the corrugated roofing. That should be relatively easy, and it'll be finished.

At that point, we can put our folding chairs out there & the next time it rains, sit & listen to the pitter-patter of the raindrops.

For the most part, I could care less about the dang roof. Oh, it will be handy to have a place to put bicycles & lawnmowers & stuff to clear out the carport so I can have a bit more room, but that's just a secondary benefit. I know how much she loves the sound of rain on a tin roof, and this is the closest I can get practically. Right now the total stands at $200 & two weekends. I figure by the time I'm done, it'll be closer to $400 & 4 weekends. A small price to pay...

No comments: