Monday, March 03, 2008

Hmmm, I probably shouldn't have stumbled onto this page

Homemade hydrogen. AKA How to get hurt!

We did this in high school, on a Friday. Of course, instead of a battery we used a battery charger, with a slick little setup. After the experiment, Col. Sanders (I don't remember the teacher's real name. He looked like Col. Sanders, though) asked if anyone wanted to get charged up for the weekend, and held up the clips from the charger. I, being a dumbass, volunteered. I held a clip in each hand & he flipped it on. I couldn't tell you how long he left it on, I was being electrocuted :) It certainly dazed me, and random people kept coming up to me in the hall to comment that my hair was more frizzy than normal.

Bzzzztt!

4 comments:

Kate said...

Leonard, wasn't it?

jred said...

Hmmm. I think you're right. I remember the "bad kids" would always smoke in his class. And burn things with the bunsen burners. And try to blow stuff up. Basically anything you weren't supposed to do :)

Kate said...

What did the bad kids smoke in his class? I remember that there was a 'smoking lounge' for the teachers on the second floor. I barged right in on several occasions looking for one teach or another, and only once was I thrown back out. I bought diet Cokes in there, too after they replaced the caf machines with fruit juice.

jred said...

Just cigarettes. He'd always ask "Is something burning?"

I don't think I ever set foot in the teacher's lounge...