QOTD: Chrome don't get you home, but you sure look good broken down. -Rich in Nashville.
So when I pulled my front wheel to get a new tire, I removed these god-awful chrome disc covers, like this: Chrome disc covers
They were a bit rusty & bent up, so I figured no one would want them on ebay, so I chunked them.
Fast forward to me putting the wheel back on. The calipers are rubbing the discs, and won't align properly. After going back and forth with a couple of guys on a wing forum, I decide to make a spacer , ~1/8", to take the place of the covers. What do you know? Worked like a charm. I even got to finally use my bench grinder I bought a year ago that's been in my car trunk all this time, to trim the spacer down a bit :)
Moving on to the back brakes, I needed to rebuild the rear master cylinder. Took me almost a damn hour to get the rear master cylinder off. It's missing some parts (I *think* just a spring, should be in the rebuild kit), but it's awfully rusty where the rubber boot had a hole. I've got it soaking in alcohol, and hopefully it'll clean up good.
I also *finally* got the fucking front brake light switch off! The head is kinda screwed up, I was going to replace it, but it's got some weird rod thing on the end of it?!?! I'm hoping I can clean the head up a bit & reuse it.
Tomorrow I'll scrub the MC, and put the rebuild kit in, put the brake light switch in, bleed both brakes, bolt on a mirror, and I'll be almost ready. Get a headlight on the next night & I'll be riding, working out the bugs :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
kickass d00d - at this rate im skeered
Scared, hell! This bike is gonna have BOTH brakes working :)
Don't forget, I still have to build the sidecar...
I guess I missed some action down there the last night or two. Two working brakes and a headlight, seems like your compromising your value system. Next thing you know I'll have to quit using a belt to keep my seat on. We'll be high class :)
Post a Comment