Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Pretty worthless

So far everything is going great with the new marriage. A few issues dealing with things I've done in the past, but nothing insurmountable. *I* know I won't be doing anything like that in the future, but it still takes time to heal.

She's been doing the whirlwind cleaning on the house. Living there as a (basically) single dad for the past year things really built up. Not the unhealthy things like food in the corners or plates under the bed. Things like "I moved the bed today to vacuum, and the pile of dust & dog hair opened it's eyes and asked me to leave it alone" type of thing. You know, I never would have thought to actually *move* furniture to clean around it. I was doing good to sweep the visible floors.

Mostly I feel worthless. Everybody has a different style, and a different preference for maintaining their living space. I'm a "don't leave it out if it will rot, and pile up everything that you may, at some point, someday, need" kind of person. She's most definitely not. Add to that things that I have very few preferences over, such as wall colors, wallpaper, furniture placement, etc. and there's not much I feel confident in contributing. I see all the hard work she's put in, and I want to do something to help, but I just don't know where to start. (Obviously, if I did, it would have been done *before* she moved in). Oh, I can handle things like taking out the trash, or move this here. I replaced the sink faucet, but she unclogged using some home remedy stuff that was top secret (I asked what it was, but she said she had to use TWO pairs of gloves and wouldn't elaborate). I managed to change the locks, and when I realized a standard lock wouldn't work in the security door, I was able to re-pin it. I *almost* got the kitchen window blind replaced, but after I got the mounts in I realized they need to go on the outside of the frame, not the inside. DOH! I can fix that tonight, though. But for simple, everyone should know stuff, I screw it up. I was supposed to put the towels in the dryer last night, and almost as soon as she asked me to, I forgot. DOH!

Oh well. I'll keep trying. Eventually I'll get it right :)

No comments: