Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Try standing on your head

I got a call today from a long-time client. They're one of our best clients. Not big, or especially lucrative, but very nice & appreciative. Not the kind that calls up screaming at you because their computer doesn't work, leaving out the part where they installed a "free" screensaver just before their PC became a virus-laden cesspool.

Anyway, Sue (not her real name) called me in a panic. "Long story short, I broke my arm a while back, and I was trying to carry some papers but I dropped them on my keyboard and now my screen is upside down! What do I do???"

Well, luckily she's a good sport and laughed at my suggestion that she stand on her head :) I knew what had happened, some video cards allow you to change the rotation of your display, so you can turn it on it's side for a page view or even 180 deg, although I don't know why you'd want to. So I went in to her system remotely, which had the benefit of the display being correct, turned off her display rotation, then turned off the hotkey which enabled it.

She was happy, and it made a bad work week a little more pleasant.

No comments: